Several years ago I came across this recipe for chocolate pie. It is by far the best chocolate pie I’ve ever had. It was recently made for the dessert at a local church and the pie got rave reviews. Thought I would share it with you. You can also see it here
- 2 cups white sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a saucepan, whisk together 2 cups sugar, cocoa and flour. Blend in evaporated milk and vanilla. Beat egg yolks, and stir into pan. Add the butter or margarine. Heat, stirring constantly just until butter is melted. Pour filling into unbaked pie shell.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until pie is not “wobbly” when shaken. (it usually takes longer for me – I usually go based on the “wobbly”ness of it!)
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating constantly, until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue on pie.
- Return pie to oven, and bake until meringue is golden.